Stay Calm, Don’t Shop
November 27 is Buy Nothing Day against consumerist capitalism. I made these illustrations and will be thinking twice before I take out one Lira from my purse. There are several ways you too can take part in this Carnivalesque Rebellion as Adbusters magazine called it:
- Turn off your lights
- Disconnect your television
- Lose your cellphone
- Walk away from the Internet
- Ride a bike instead of using your car
- Read a book
- Explore nature
- Ask yourself questions such as: Do I really need that new dress, that shirt, these pants, those glasses, etc? How can I be a smart consumer?
- Or even circulate these visuals to create awareness
Whatever you do on this day, think of it as an adventure, as therapy – a way to break your pattern and embrace the things that you love but have forgotten that you do.